Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rose and Harry's New Shared Space: Part Two


As you can see, Harry is pretty chuffed with the new room. The first week of sharing has been going extremely well and the kids have adjusted very quickly. We had our doubts as to how it would go as Rose likes having her own space but they really seem to be enjoying it!
It is always a challenge to create a scheme that will suit a boy and a girl so I chose red and varied a few pieces to try and make Rose's space look more girly, and Harry's more boyish.
I picked up a matching pair of red Ezibuy Tulsa Quilts which are plain red on one side and red and white stripes on the other. They are channel stitched and come in a variety of other colours too. They are also fairly reasonably priced for quilts. 
For Harry's bed I added a red and white striped pillowcase which I found a while ago from an Op Shop for $1.00, as well as his red and charcoal Thread Design motorcycle cushion.
On Rose's bed I used a red and white polka dot pillowcase that I made for her (from beautiful Tom Tom Jak fabric) a few months ago to create a more girly look, together with the Wallace Cotton red and white star cushion which I have owned for years now.
One thing I love about the bunks are the slatted ends. Although I probably prefer beds with solid ends, I think that beds with slatted ends make the room seem a little more spacious and the furniture less imposing. This was important as having bunks in a room is always going to dominate the space due to their size.
I added the second hand bedside table unit I picked up a few months ago and have displayed some of Rose and Harry's toys to personalise their room further.
This is Rose's little corner of the room. We have kept her crystal drawer knobs on, added an old lamp, her 'r' letter from Allium, her set of Russian Dolls and an inexpensive polka dot suitcase for all her hair bands. Harry's corner is still being worked on. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats very cool, love the red and white

Tui B said...

Thanks Sharlene. In case you couldn't tell, I love red! lol.