Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Our First Camping Trip

Well, we survived our first family camping trip!
The weather was beautiful when we arrived and after a bit of team work, our new tent was erected. I have to say, I am in love with our new tent! It was spacious and clean and in my opinion, preferable to staying in the baches at the campground. While we were there we saw some mattresses being transported around the grounds and let's just say, it was hard to tell their original colour due to the stains. Ewww!
It was very much a novelty sleeping in a tent and Rosie and Harry loved every minute of it. Amazingly, they were asleep within 5 minutes of being put to bed, it must have been the sea air. :) The beach was very tidal so the campground offered alot of alternative activities.
Rosie was particularly keen on the good old fashioned rope swing and gained more confidence in going a little higher each time. They were also able to have an evening swim and kayak once the tide came in!
All in all, I really enjoyed myself and it was great to spend time with family and friends without the distractions of home. I was able to read and chat for hours and I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed it. In saying that, there were a few things that I was not so keen on and memories of school camp came flooding back.
Firstly, the communal ablution block. This is nastiness personified. I actually think this campground was pretty good by campground standards but ewww, it wasn't fun in there. Showering in jandals, concrete floors and wait for it, clumps of other people's hair around the place. I found myself trying to avoid having a shower! Being smelly was definitely the lesser of two evils. I also wasn't keen on the communal fridge, in case you haven't guessed already, I have a mistrust of any shared facilities!
Sadly the weather turned nasty and was forecast to stay that way for several days so we decided to pack up early. Rosie and Harry were most upset and we had barely got up the road before they were asking when we could go camping again. Lucky for them, we have another trip planned soon with friends so fingers crossed for beautiful weather!

2 comments:

Karen MacDonald said...

This post reminds me of all the times we had camping at Anaura Bay and the fun we had. I would love to do this again and maybe we can meet somewhere. With clean ablution block :). I will keep my eye open for a good tent on trade me after summer or on sale new. Camille is keen as well. I can just imagine the fun and laughs to be had.

Tui B said...

Sooo keen to go to Anaura again! Have many very happy memories there. Keep an eye on the 1 Day sales, that is where we picked ours up from...for a bargain too!