Well, I have finished my first dress!
I have been to Spotlight a few times now, looking for just the right pattern but have been disappointed with the selection. I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted (after a couple of long nights browsing Etsy!) but just couldn't find what I wanted. In the end I used another dress of Rose's as a rough draft pattern for this one. I bought a whole lot of fabric at the Spotlight $1, $2, $4 clearance sale, (thank goodness for stocktake sales!) and chose these fabrics to make my first dress as I figured if it flopped it wouldn't be huge finacial loss. :-) I used a brown check for the bodice and sash and a brown and white vintage look floral for the underskirt. The denim overskirt and straps were made from fabric left over from a skirt I made for myself about 4 years ago.
All in all, I am pleased with how it turned out! I learnt three new things when making this dress.
1. How to use a gathering foot on my machine (thanks Karen), a blessed discovery indeed.
2. How to do buttonholes, I was feeling the love for my machine after this!
3. I made my first covered buttons! (Now I think I am addicted to covered buttons) :-)
The dress bodice gaped a bit at the back (the sash helped draw it in) so next time I am going to have to think about how to rectify this. Perhaps using a proper pattern, rather than guessing might help!