One of my best friends in high school gave me this recipe and I have made it countless times ever since. It is perfect for using up those bananas in the fruit bowl that are nearing their use by date!
Esther's Banana Bread
100 grams butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon, mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar (topping)
- Grease and cover base of loaf tin.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in bananas.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients alternatively with skim milk. Stir in nuts (optional), pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Cook in a moderate oven, 180 degrees for 55 minutes until cooked.
- Let the loaf stand for 5 minutes before putting on a wire rack to cool.
Hope you enjoy it! :)