Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Upcycling!







I love upcycling! I learnt about this term a few months ago from some fellow online crafters and loved the concept. Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products. It is so satisfying creating something this way and also a great way to reduce the consumption of new raw material and become more environmentally friendly!
I managed to acquire a used Designer's Guild breakfast pillowcase from their 'Puppy Love' range quite a while ago. Although it was small and didn't match Rose's room, I couldn't bear to throw it out and tucked it into my storage basket until I could find a use for it. Inspired by Eden's gorgeous pink rose PJ's, I decided to turn it into some PJ's for Rose. This was the simplest project ever! I used a vintage 1970's shorts pattern and just lengthened the leg length (you know how short everything was in the 70's!) to make them as long as the fabric would allow. I also had a new little white singlet in my stash which I was going to use for another project (I am planning on making a doily singlet for Rose) and that came in handy for the top. I made the shorts and used the last puppy square of fabric for the little applique on the singlet. Rose (a big puppy fan) was very pleased and I love that this beautiful 100% cotton piece of fabric now has a new lease of life. :-)

No comments: